Wednesday 8 August 2012

[review] Thanks for the Memories - Cecilia Ahern


From the author of PS, I Love You, Thanks For The Memories features the broken pieces two character’s lives. One lost her baby, the other his way of life. Cecilia Ahern as usual, has a unique way of linking her characters, this time through blood transfusion and with it, the transference of memories. A bit surreal for you? That’s okay, her books often enough include a dose of fairy tale-esque plot-points, which usually makes them a unique take on the ‘chicklit’ genre.

From the general feel I got as I read the summary, I expected a heart wrenching, sob inducing series of simple words crafted into wave after wave of punches which takes your breath away with the amount of emotion you never knew you could feel about something you know nothing about. Some emotional PS, I Love You-shit, which by the way left me sniffling as I lay on a towel on a beach. 

Before we get to why this book is worth reading, let's take a look at what bothered me.

The loss of a baby is conveyed well enough, the confusion, sorrow and anger is there.. But it was a plot point. It was made a thing that wasn’t quite big enough to be the focus, but it was always there! This irked me a little to be honest. I dunno.. It was glazed over so many times, but used to emphasize the woman’s.. Joyce’s feeling enough that you begin to question what the author is trying to do. Does she want this to be an important bit of history? Or is it just something which happened and whoopsie-daisy, let all go get some ice cream now?

Once again the book features two opposites who serve as the main character’s best friends. Look at the PS. I Love You book, and Cecilia Ahern’s TV series Samantha Who. The formula works, but I’m beginning to feel that Ms. Ahern needs to find another combination that works for the lackey’s parts. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the best friends – Kate and Frankie. But I just feel that if she uses it in another book, I’m gonna chuck her with Dan Brown who basically uses the same plot points for all his books.

And now the main male character.. He who needs to be dashing, and as far as word-candy – and I keep using this to describe the oh-so delectable male character usually featured in romance books, so forgive me If I use it here! Anyway, as far as word-candy goes, Justin is certainly not the most annoying one I’ve encountered. He’s likable, if a bit pretentious.

This sort of made me think how the two would work in real life. Justin is the kind of guy who can spout Latin at the drop of a hat, and random facts on art and architecture. Joyce needed to be dragged even towards the university building for a visit. You just wonder if beyond this book they can make it.
 
As for whether or not I like the book.. It would seem I didn’t enjoy it. But I did. I really did. Cecilia Ahern has a touch of magic in her books which makes you sigh a bit and smile like an idiot, even if afterwards you might go ‘..hang on! But..’. I really didn’t notice time was passing, by the time I got to the last few pages, my ass was numb and it was dark outside.. I had just spent all that time in a happy trance. There’s a feel good quality to it, and it’s never preachy even as it delivers life lessons through Joyce’s aging father. And her characters are fun, weird people you come to like.

I like how she writes, but after reading PS. I Love You and A Place Called Here, this one just falls a little short. As far as chicklit-types go, Cecilia Ahern remains one of the few whose books I will touch willingly. Would I pick up something from her again? Probably. Because like I said - I like how she writes. A little sassy, a little whimsical, and a whole lot of fun. Even as you're kinda grasping at your chest wishing the hurt would stop. (Seriously. When she wants to make you cry, she will make you cry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment